Scribe (7.9.0) Publisher upset at the data – CRM 2015

Scribe (7.9.0) Publisher not picking up records – CRM 2015

Problem

An Initial import was run to push NAV data into the Scribe Publisher queue found in the NAV database. This table then clears down when the publisher attempts to take the data to the Scribe in queue but it fails and the data is dropped into the NAV Pub Failed queue. There appeared to be nothing obvious wrong but it was complaining purely about these 20 records which we were trying to push across to our CRM target. If you made changes on other records individually the publisher handled them fine and updated the data in CRM. So what was wrong with these particular records?

Resolution

It turns out the problem was with the double quotes found in the description/name etc. The publisher cannot handle this and if we removed it from the data we found the integration worked fine. This has been reported to Scribe as a potential bug and I will update this when we have further information.

Double quote scribe

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s